Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Hunger Games

Ever since the official movie trailer was released this week, everyone has been talking about this book. People in class talk about it. People at work ask about it. I've never felt so out of the loop. I've been used to this the last 4-5 months since I was out of the loop for a few months. (24 to be exact.) So yesterday after class, I decided to officially start my Thanksgiving break. No homework. But that's usually what I spend my time doing every Friday in WSC 1111 for six hours. What would I do at work?? Such a dilemma. I decided to head to Barnes and Noble and buy a REAL book. I haven't read a REAL book since the last installment of the Harry Potter series back in high school. I bought The Hunger Games so I could finally add something to the conversations that continue to come up. I got to work and started reading. And I couldn't stop. The storyline? Gruesome. The plot? Addicting. I had forgotten how much I really do like reading a good book. At the end of my shift, I had already read 250 pages. I came home and had nothing to do, so I kept reading for another hour. This morning I woke up and finished it. I can finally say I read a whole book in less than 24 hours.

Today was painfully vanilla. (That's a phrase I picked up in Virginia. It means boring, but the only time I heard it was from black people in reference to boring white people.) I had NOTHING to do. So I headed back to Barnes and Noble to get the second book in the series. They didn't have a paperback copy, and the hardback was $17.99. Ouch. But what else was I going to do all day? I had already checked the libraries in town and the books were checked out. It seemed worth it to me. I'm about one third of the way done so far. There was a football game tonight, the last home game of the season I think. I decided that staying home and reading a book in the warmth of my apartment was more appealing than freezing to death at at the game. You know it's cold when even my roommates, who are huge fans, come home at halftime.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't read these books, I recommend it. I know they are about kids having to kill other kids, but there is much more to the story than that. I'll probably read the third one soon as well. And then the wait for the movie to come out next year, March 23rd!

I'm going to go read some more.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm glad you've become a bookworm (at least temporarily).

Another good trick if you don't want to buy the book and you have nothing to do all day? Barnes and Noble used to have some comfortable chairs hidden in the corners of the store. You could sit and read the book there. Or, you can buy a hot chocolate and sit at the cafe. No one will kick you out.

Of course, reading a book in the comfort of your own home is always the best, but still . . .

Li-Sha said...

yeahhh those books are so addicting, once you get past the fact that its about kids killing kids (which can be hard to get past)!! i'm glad you're finaaally back in the loop! it was so embarrassing to have you not know about the hunger games....

Amy Lovell said...

rIf I only knew you were going to read these books I would have brought them home for you. I got them all last year for Christmas. Definitely addicting!

AJ Candrian said...

I loved those books too, though I was disappointed in the third one. And I have it, if you want to borrow it...

The author spoke last year at the National Book Festival, and she explained why she wrote the books. It was pretty interesting. I'll have to tell you all about it over Thanksgiving dinner.

Allison said...

I'm disappointed that you didn't blog tonight. Yep, I'm a reader now. :)