Saturday, January 14, 2012

Something smells... foreign.

This semester I had a new roommate move in. He's from Brazil and is here to learn English. He is now my 4th international roommate that I've had so far at BYU. First there was Shuo from China. Then I had C.J. from Nigeria and another one from Nepal. I don't remember his name... I pass him on campus every once in a while and I avoid eye contact because I'm embarrassed I don't remember my own roommate's name. Anyway, the one I have now is Esteavo. And what do they all have in common that I've noticed? Let me tell you. They each have a very distinct odor about them. Why? I don't know. But whenever their bedroom doors would open, it was like smelling a whole new culture. Does that make sense? I have spent a lot of time thinking about why they each smell differently, and I also think to myself if Americans have a smell too? And is it a good smell? Who knows. I'd like to think we smell good.


Since Esteavo moved in I've had to speak very simple English. And once you get into that mode, it's hard to break it. I caught myself asking my friend a question last night in very simple, slow language. "Watch movie? Yes or no?" Oh and last weekend I went Salsa dancing for the first time with a bunch of Brazilians. I was definitely a minority. But it was probably one of the funnest nights I've had in a while, even though I couldn't understand what was going on and no one could understand what I was trying to say to them.

But whether they smell good or bad, or whether they don't speak English very well, I am always excited to have international roommates and the adventures that come with them.

2 comments:

Li-Sha said...

hahahaha... excited... you?

AJ Candrian said...

I had a roommate from the Bahamas once. She had a VERY distinct smell. I think part of it was because she'd make cultured meals and leave it sitting on the counter for days and continue to eat it. We shared a room. And I always knew I'd be walking into a gas chamber if she ever went to bed before me. On a similar note, yesterday I went shopping with a friend, and she wanted to go into a Hispanic clothing shop. It smelled. Like what, I don't know. But it smelled.